Join us for lively discussions, activities, friendship and fun!
- For girls ages 8-12 accompanied by mom or another caring adult.
- No younger siblings please
- Registration forms for the event and copies of the books will be available at the library front desk about one month prior to each event (registration is required).
- No younger siblings please.
- Participating in a book club can be a rewarding experience for parents and children. Sharing quality time with each other through reading provides the opportunity for parents to develop a true bond with their children by sharing ideas about the books’ contents and messages, while providing a safe environment for children to share thoughts, fears, or problems. They also have the opportunity to hear ideas and opinions of their peers.
Great Reads for Girls 2019-2020 Schedule
Thursday September 12th at 7 p.m.
Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
One summer’s day, ten-year-old India Opal Buloni goes down to the local supermarket for some groceries – and comes home with a dog. But Winn-Dixie is no ordinary dog. It’s because of Winn-Dixie that Opal begins to make friends. And it’s because of Winn-Dixie that she finally dares to ask her father about her mother, who left when Opal was three. In fact, as Opal admits, just about everything that happens that summer is because of Winn-Dixie.
Thursday November 14th at 7 p.m.
Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai
Hà has only ever known Saigon: the thrills of its markets, the joy of its traditions, and the warmth of her friends close by. But now the Vietnam War has reached her home. Hà and her family are forced to flee as Saigon falls, and they board a ship headed toward hope—toward America.
Thursday February 13 th at 7 p.m.
Absolutely Truly by Heather Vogel Frederick
What happens when a 6-foot-tall 12-year-old named Truly Lovejoy must leave her dream home in Austin, Texas, and settle in the frozen village of ‘population you’ve-got-to-be-kidding-me’ Pumpkin Falls, New Hampshire? She finds a mystery to solve, of course.
Thursday April 9 th at 7 p.m.
It’s Raining Cupcakes by Lisa Schroeder
Twelve-year-old Isabel is dying to get out of Oregon. She spends her free time in the library, reading and dreaming about faraway places. When her mom decides to open a cupcake shop in their little town of Willow, Isabel feels just like buttercream frosting to a cupcake — stuck.
See some of our past book group events:
Absolutely Truly February 2020
Inside Out and Back Again November 2019
Because of Winn Dixie
A Crooked Kind of Perfect April 2019
A Little Princess February 2019
“The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” November 2018
“Esperanza Rising” September 2018
“The Year of Miss Agnes” April 2018
“A Long Way From Chicago” February 2018
“Dragon Slippers” November 2017
“The Beef Princess of Practical County” September 2017
“The Candy Shop Wars” April 2017
“The one and only Ivan” Feb. 2017
“Little House on the Prairie” Nov. 2016
“The 100 Dresses” Sept. 2016
The girls created a handmade card that they were challenged to
give to someone they appreciate.
“All Four Stars” Dessert Party Oct. 2015