Join us for lively discussions, activities, friendship and fun!
- For girls ages 8-12 accompanied by mom or another caring adult.
- No younger siblings please
- Registration forms for the event and copies of the books will be available at the library front desk about one month prior to each event (registration is required).
- No younger siblings please.
- Participating in a book club can be a rewarding experience for parents and children. Sharing quality time with each other through reading provides the opportunity for parents to develop a true bond with their children by sharing ideas about the books’ contents and messages, while providing a safe environment for children to share thoughts, fears, or problems. They also have the opportunity to hear ideas and opinions of their peers.
Great Reads for Girls 2020-2021
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
Thursday February 11 th at 7 p.m.
Ten-year-old Annemarie Johansen and her best friend Ellen Rosen often think of life before the war. It’s now 1943 and their life in Copenhagen is filled with school, food shortages, and the Nazi soldiers marching through town. When the Jews of Denmark are “relocated,” Ellen moves in with the Johansens and pretends to be one of the family. Soon Annemarie is asked to go on a dangerous mission to save Ellen’s life.
The Night Fairy by Laura Amy Schlitz
Thursday April 8 th at 7 p.m.
What would happen to a fairy if she lost her wings and could no longer fly? Flory, a young night fairy no taller than an acorn and still becoming accustomed to her wings, is about to find out. What she discovers is that the world is very big and very dangerous. But Flory is fierce and willing to do whatever it takes to survive. If that means telling others what to do — like Skuggle, a squirrel ruled by his stomach — so be it. Not every creature, however, is as willing to bend to Flory’s demands.
See some of our past book group events:
White Giraffe November 2020
It’s Raining Cupcakes September 2020
Absolutely Truly February 2020
Inside Out and Back Again November 2019
Because of Winn Dixie
A Crooked Kind of Perfect April 2019
A Little Princess February 2019
“The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” November 2018
“Esperanza Rising” September 2018
“The Year of Miss Agnes” April 2018
“A Long Way From Chicago” February 2018
“Dragon Slippers” November 2017
“The Beef Princess of Practical County” September 2017
“The Candy Shop Wars” April 2017
“The one and only Ivan” Feb. 2017
“Little House on the Prairie” Nov. 2016
“The 100 Dresses” Sept. 2016
The girls created a handmade card that they were challenged to
give to someone they appreciate.
“All Four Stars” Dessert Party Oct. 2015