Join us for lively discussions, activities, friendship and fun!
- For girls ages 8-12 accompanied by mom or another caring adult.
- No younger siblings please
- Registration forms for the event and copies of the books will be available at the library front desk about one month prior to each event (registration is required).
- No younger siblings please.
- Participating in a book club can be a rewarding experience for parents and children. Sharing quality time with each other through reading provides the opportunity for parents to develop a true bond with their children by sharing ideas about the books’ contents and messages, while providing a safe environment for children to share thoughts, fears, or problems. They also have the opportunity to hear ideas and opinions of their peers.
Great Reads for Girls 2020
White Giraffe by Lauren St. John
November 12, 7:00 PM
When Martine’s home in England burns down, killing her parents, she must go to South Africa to live on a wildlife game preserve, called Sawubona, with the grandmother she didn’t know she had. Almost as soon as she arrives, Martine hears stories about a white giraffe living in the preserve.
But her grandmother and others working at Sawubona insist that the giraffe is just a myth. Martine is not so sure, until one stormy night when she looks out her window and locks eyes with Jemmy, a young silvery-white giraffe. Why is everyone keeping Jemmy’s existence a secret? Does it have anything to do with the rash of poaching going on at Sawubona? Martine needs all of the courage and smarts she has, not to mention a little African magic, to find out.
See some of our past book group events:
It’s Raining Cupcakes September 2020
Absolutely Truly February 2020
Inside Out and Back Again November 2019
Because of Winn Dixie
A Crooked Kind of Perfect April 2019
A Little Princess February 2019
“The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” November 2018
“Esperanza Rising” September 2018
“The Year of Miss Agnes” April 2018
“A Long Way From Chicago” February 2018
“Dragon Slippers” November 2017
“The Beef Princess of Practical County” September 2017
“The Candy Shop Wars” April 2017
“The one and only Ivan” Feb. 2017
“Little House on the Prairie” Nov. 2016
“The 100 Dresses” Sept. 2016
The girls created a handmade card that they were challenged to
give to someone they appreciate.
“All Four Stars” Dessert Party Oct. 2015